Have you ever seen a book without words or pictures? Even without words, this book tells us a story about God and the best gift of all.
The Black Page (Romans 3:23)
This black color reminds me of sin. See how dark it is. Sin is all of the bad stuff that you and I do that makes God really sad. What are some of the things that you do wrong? All of those things we just talked about are sin. We all make bad choices. Even mommies and daddies sin.The Bible says in Romans 3:23 that “all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.”This means that there is nothing that we can do to ever make us good enough to reach God. The sin in our heart makes our hearts black. But there is good news! God had a plan.
The Red Page (John 3:16)
God’s plan was to send His perfect son, Jesus. At Christmas, we celebrated that Jesus was born on earth and lived to be a young man. Jesus never sinned. Because of this, He was able to take our place and die for our sins. The red reminds us of the blood that Jesus shed for our sins. Jesus died on the cross so that you and I can be forgiven for the bad things we do. But guess what? He didn't stay dead. Three days later, Jesus arose from the grave. Later, Jesus went to heaven. Now He is preparing a place for all those who believe in Him. Because of what Jesus did for you, you can have your sins forgiven!
John 3:16 says “For God so loved the world, that He gave Him only Son that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have eternal life.”
The White Page Psalm 51:7
Do you see how clean this page is? Do you remember how black your heart is from sin? You don’t have to have a black heart. You can have a clean heart. Psalm 51:7 says: ..."wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow." Jesus wants to forgive you of all your sins and take them away. His blood will wash away all of that yuckiness and darkness. The Bible says that when Jesus forgives our sins He totally forgets about them.
The Gold Page Rev. 21:18, 21
What color is this page? Gold reminds me of things that are very special. It reminds me of God. God is perfect and He does nothing wrong. God created you and me. Gold also reminds me of Heaven. Heaven is where God lives. The Bible even says that the streets of Heaven are paved with gold! Heaven sounds like a great place doesn’t it? But there is one thing that can not ever be in Heaven. That is sin. We learned that the only way to get rid of our sin is to ask Jesus to wipe it away.
(If the answer is “yes” have the person repeat after you or say their own prayer.)
Here is a sample prayer:
Dear Jesus, I know that I am a sinner and make bad choices. Please forgive me! Thank you Jesus for dying for me, forgiving me of my sins, and then rising again! I ask You, Jesus to come into my life and make it clean. Please help me make good choices and live for You! Thank You for loving me! In Jesus' Name, Amen.
The Green Page (II Peter 3:18)
Once we ask Jesus into our heart, we should not be the same. We now have Jesus to help us make good choices. The green page stands for the things that a Christian’s need to grow! The Bible tells us in 2 Peter 3:18 that we are to "grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.” Plants need three things to grow: sunshine, rain and good soil. Christians need to pray, read the Bible, and spend time with other Christians at church. All three of these will help you grow.
If you have just prayed to God and meant it from your heart then you will go to Heaven when you die! You only have to receive the Lord once. Please go and tell your parents, brothers, and sisters that you received the Lord as your Savior and that you will be going to Heaven and tell them what they can do to go to Heaven.
- "Wordless Book" Song by Frances M. Johnston
(Use a Wordless Book or Gospel Fuzzies Glove to show the colors as you sing.)
(Black) My heart was dark with sin
until the Savior came in.
(Red) His precious blood I know
(White) Has washed it white as snow.
(Gold) And in His Word I'm told
I'll walk the streets of gold.
(Green) To grow in Christ each day
I read the Bible and pray.
( Listen - the last two lines are different in this YouTube video)
- " Gospel Fuzzies " Song (Author Unknown)
Learn the tune and then change the words to match the Wordless Book. Here is my example. Optional words written in parenthesis.
We're the Gospel Fuzzies (3x)
And we'll tell you the Good News. (We have a song to sing.)
Black (Dark) means I'm a sinner (3x)
And I can't get in (there).
Red means Jesus died (3x)
And He rose again.
White (Clean) means I'm forgiven (3x)
When I trust in Him.
Gold stands for Heaven (3x)
Where I want to go.
Green means I am growing (3x)
If I read and pray. (In Him every day.)
- Gather and order a piece of black, red, white, gold, and green construction paper. Print the Wordless Book story cards. Cut apart the boxes. Glue the boxes on the backs of the pages so that you can read the information as you shuffle through the colors. (Move forward through the cards as you tell the story rotating the colors back.) On the back of the green construction page, glue the information for "black." On the back of the black page, glue the information for "red" and so on.
- For boys: Tell the story using colored legos pr M&M's.
For girls: Tell the story using fingernail polish. Paint each finger a color of the Wordless Book. ( Original Source Unknown )
- Wordless Book Bracelet
Using Pony Beads and Solid Suede Lace, create a bracelet. Put the beads in order of the book's pages.
- Wordless Book
Cut small squares or rectangles of cardstock (black, red, white, gold, and green). Punch a hole in the corner of each color and attach together with a craft ring or piece of string. Help the child tell you the Wordless Book or use as you sing the song.
- "Gospel Fuzzies" Song (Author Unknown)
Make a "Gospel Fuzzies" glove to match the Wordless Book. Using a Stretch Glove, sew or glue a pompom to each finger representing the Wordless Book. Wiggle the finger needed as you tell the story or sing the songs. Or on a piece of paper trace around the child's hand and glue on the correct colored pompoms. Point to the finger as you tell the story or sing the songs.
- Egg Carton Caterpillar - Cut a paper egg carton to make a single line of containers. Turn upside down and paint each container. Add black pipecleaners for antennae, a mouth, and googly eyes. To use with the Wordless Book theme, paint the caterpillar black, red, white, gold, and green.
- Wordless Book Worm - Cut a black, red, white, yellow, and green circle. Glue on a piece of paper in order. Add a face to the green circle.
- Wordless Book Worm - Cut a black, red, white, yellow, and green circle. Punch one hole in the black and green circles. Punch two opposite holes in the red, white, and yellow. Join the circles with brads. Add a face to the green circle.
- Place some black, red, white, green, and yellow M&M's or jelly beans in a bag. Seal and add the Wordless Book Card. Have the child give the bags away and tell the Wordless Book Story.
3 layered round cake - red, green, and chocolate layers
To make the colored layers - mix a white cake according to the box/recipe directions. Divide the batter in half. Drop several drops of green food coloring in one half, and red food coloring in the other half. Pour each into 8" round cake pans and bake according to recipe directions. When cooled, stack the chocolate layer, red layer in the middle, ending with the green layer with white frosting in between. Frost the entire cake with white frosting. Add yellow decorations and candles to the top.
The chocolate layer reminds us that are heart is full of sin.
The red layer reminds us that Jesus shed His blood for our sins.
The white frosting reminds us that Jesus will forgive our sins and give us a clean heart.
The green layer reminds us to grow in Christ through praying, reading the Bible, and worshiping.
The yellow decorations remind us of heaven.
The candles remind us Jesus is the Light of the world.
Using flannelgraph to tell the Wordless Book - Read more...
- Story of the Wordless Book
- Information and Ideas for Teaching Wordless Book
- Teaching Kids the Wordless Book
- Many craft, lapbook ideas and ways to present the Wordless Boo k
- Wordless Book Poem and actions by Scripture Lady
This page may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.